Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thanks, Kids

As I sat there watching my Sunday morning news shows, I realized that more than once on the Democratic side of these discussions, the question of voter’s preferences when it came to a black male vs. a white woman came up.

The initial startle to me was that they were still talking about that aspect of it this late in the contest. I had been under the impression that we’d had gotten past this segment of the discussion after Super Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2008.

But there it was still echoing around the dial by the supposed pundits and it left me a bit disappointed for I contrasted these round table media discussions with the images of yesterday afternoon.

You see, I was at a Pop Warner awards program that centered on the kids and their accomplishments. Boys and girls – black, white – Hispanic, Irish, Italian, etc- and their parents mixing it up, having a good time. I noticed that children who were getting a little rambunctious were mindful of the corrective orders of adults, related to them or not – neither group was concerned with heritage, skin color or gender. The elders spoke and the kids did as they were told.

With a few exceptions that will persist in some places, I believe that for the most part, the electorate, like this Pop Warner group, has moved on from wanting things to be filtered through gender, skin color or heritage. Rather, their focus is on each other’s commonality, whether its’ financial, health, family or any of a thousand other topics that affect our lives each day.

We’ll see.

No comments: